Nostalgia ... through video games
Saturday, September 5, 2009 @ 7:37 PM
I was surprised how I got this sudden nostalgia-sort-of feeling when I was playing Pokemon Emerald yesterday night.
I was bored, so I took out my Emerald first, then slot it into my DS's Slot 2. The game started at the protagonist's house, and I had modified my house such that there are some poke-dolls and poke-cushions lying around, and trust me, that moment feels great. It is like a sudden gush of past memories -- all the tradings, all the Colosseum battles, all the berries planting and pokeblocks ...
I went out of the house, and everything seemed new, maybe because of the fact that I've adapted to the Sinnoh's environment ... so ...
Remember the days where no PSPs were around? If you were to ask anyone if they have a handheld, and if they said yes, it would probably be GameBoy, and if you were to ask which game(s) they were playing, they would probably had Pokemon in their list. Also, if you were to be found playing Pokemon in one of those public places like shoppping centres, someone, who is a total stranger to you, would just ask if you want to trade with them. This happened to me, and I could remember where it happen. I was having lunch that day at Northpoint's Food Court, and it is always a practice for me to maybe wash my hand before eating. That time, there were no sinks or basins in the food court, so if you want to do some wash up business, it could only be done in the toliets which are like 2 meters away.
After I went to the toliet and washed my hand, this Indian boy saw my GameBoy Advance pouch, and asked with a heavy indian accent "Pokemon right?"
I replied "Yea."
"What version?"
"FirRed"
"Want trade?" He asked politely.
As I was in the rush for my lunch, I declined him instantly ...
Another instant where the majority are playing Pokemon would be in school. I remembered the time during P2 to P4, where almost everyone, after End-Of-Year exams, would bring their Gameboys, loaded with Pokemon series, asking anyone if they would like to trade/battle with him. And everyone was like so enthu, wanting to get the link cables/wireless adapters first before anyone else.
Also, it is also my practice to play Pokemon with my friends during school holidays. We would do some trading business, followed by Colosseum battles, and it was very fun. Pokemon was a great entertainment for me during school holidays as it often suck me in for hours.
While those days may be over (since the invention of another handheld), this memories still lies within the game itself. I guess that's the main reason why retro game are becoming more and more popular nowadays, and I just hope that people would keep these retro-games living, as long as these memories are still living...
0 notes